The main purpose of the project is to assess and evaluate striga infestation through a socio- economic survey in the villages of the Goluge sub zone and to create awareness among the farming community.
Report No. 33 | Asmerom Kidane, Woldeamlak Araia, Zeru Ghebremichael and Goitom Gobezay | December 2004
The main objectives:
- Conduct a socio-economic survey to assess the agronomic packages adopted for striga control; and to know the intensity, dissemination, yield loss and control of striga in the Goluge area;
- Identify indigenous knowledge and recommend efficient crop management as well as research intervention for sustainable yield and to reduce the infestation of striga;
- Upgrade farmers’ awareness through seminars, bulletins, posters and translation into local languages;
- Assess the striga-sorghum relationship in farmers’ fields;
- Understand the relationship between striga-soil bank seed reserves and the impact of cropping systems on the seed bank in the soil.