The overall objective of the study is to assess and document the extent and use of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of agricultural development projects and come up with appropriate recommendations for conducting EIA.
The following are specific objectives of the study:
- To assess EIAs of selected agricultural development projects and to investigate the methodologies used,
- To investigate the views and level of involvement of local communities and other stakeholders on EIAs of agricultural development projects,
- To examine government regulations, policies and/or strategies in relation to impact assessments of development projects,
- To broaden and improve understanding and use of the NEAPG developed by the DOE as a planning and regulatory tool among relevant ministries, local governments, investors and other relevant organizations,
- To help stakeholders understand their responsibilities and roles in conducting, monitoring and evaluating EIA of development projects and to explore the responsible institution(s) or organization(s) for conducting EIA, approving, monitoring and/or evaluating EIA,
- To provide information to the public, relevant stakeholders and decision-makers about the past and present ways of conducting of environmental impact assessments of agricultural development projects and their likely consequences and
- To recommend appropriate ways of conducting environmental impact assessments of agricultural development projects and to suggest improvements and means of its wider implementation.